VIEW the UKIP Local Manifesto for 2013
These are anxious and troubled times. As crisis has followed crisis our politicians are seen to be impotent in the face of the dangers rearing up all around us.
Violent crime erupts in our cities. Jobs are lost and services failing under a tide of immigration, pensions have been crippled and cash savings yield almost nothing.
Millions are now without adequate means of existence. Fear of old age darkens the future. Parliament is held in contempt. Our currency has collapsed by 30%. Chaos engulfs Europe’s very financial existence and, here at home, taxation now bears down on those least able to pay whilst Britain goes ever deeper into deficit.
A gulf has opened between the ruling elite and the public. Each of the establishment main parties are now Social Democrats and offer voters no real choice.
UKIP alone holds that the rescue of the British people depends on withdrawal from the EU to regain our self-governing democracy so allowing the relief of business from crushing regulation and the less well off from the burden of taxes, shutting off the flood of immigrants and freeing enterprise.
1 Restore Self Government & Democracy
• Commissioners in Brussels dictate 75% of our laws. None can be repealed by Parliament. We cannot vote for those who make these laws – we cannot remove them.
• EU controls Immigration, Business and Employment, Financial Services, Fishing, Farming, Law and Order, Energy and Trade. It seeks now to control Foreign Affairs and Tax.
• The British people must decide through an immediate referendum if we stay in the EU or to come out and claw back independent power over our national life. We do not have to be ruled by this regime to work with our European neighbours who depend on us for their markets.
• Abolish the EU’s bureaucratic VAT and replace it with a local sales tax to support Local Government finance and to make it
accountable at the ballot box.
• Give the public power to require binding local and national referenda on major issues.
2 Rebuild Prosperity
• By leaving the EU we save over £45m a day plus £60bn a year due to EU trade barriers, business regulation, waste, fraud,
administration costs and the destruction of our fishing industry.
• According to Open Europe EU business regulations cost over £20bn a year. Abolish those determined not essential by a
commission appointed by Parliament.
• Take 4.5 million of low incomes out of tax altogether with a simple, flat rate income tax. With a threshold set at minimum wage.
• Financial services yield £61bn in tax revenues or 12% of the UK total. Exclude the City from EU controls.
• UK national debt is to reach over £1.4 trillion by the end of the parliament. This is unacceptable.
• UK national debt will exceed £1.4 trillion by the end of this Parliament by which time Osborne’s cuts will not even equal our EU contributions. Public spending is increasing and the Coalition’s cuts do not scratch the surface of Labour’s deficit. We must cut down Government if we are to return to a sound economy.
• EU ‘renewable’ energy rules will double electricity bills by 2020. Global warming is not proven – wind power is futile. Scrap all green taxes, wind turbine subsidies and adopt nuclear power to free us from dependence on fossil fuels and foreign oil and gas.
• Quangos cost us £60bn each year – at least half the cost of the NHS. Bring them under Parliament’s control and cut the cost substantially.
• Cut taxes on small businesses and abolish the tax on work – Employers’ National Insurance.
• Make real and rigorous cuts in foreign aid and replace with free trade.
3 Protect Our Borders & Defend Our Country
• The tide of mass EU immigration has pushed down wages and restricted job opportunities. Only by leaving the EU can we regain control of our borders.
• Freeze permanent immigration for 5 years. Immigrants must be fluent in English, have minimum education levels and show they can financially support themselves.
• Bring in a points based visa system and time limited work permits.
• The State must defend its peoples. Keep our nuclear deterrent and make increased defence spending a clear priority, even in these difficult times, to underpin Britain’s global role.
4 Safeguards Against Crime
• No cuts to front line policing
• Make sentences mean what they say – life must mean life.
• Double prison places to enforce zero tolerance on crime.
• Establish locally elected County Police Boards to set policing aims approved by
• Scrap the European Arrest Warrant.
• Repeal the Human Rights Act to end abuses by convicted criminals and illegal immigrants.
• Free the police force from the straitjacket of political correctness and ‘targets’.
5 Care And Support For All
• Assure for all people prompt and caring treatment in ill health.
• Radically simplify NHS management and set up locally elected County Health Boards.
• Launch partnerships with the private and charity sectors to increase efficiency and choice and bring in health care vouchers for those who wish to opt out of the NHS.
• Give parents school vouchers to allow them to choose their children’s schools.
• Support grammar schools and vocational education.
• End the 50% university target for school leavers , scrap tuition fees and reintroduce student grants.
• Roll all State pensions and benefits into a simple, substantial Citizen’s Pension.
• Ensure that benefits are only for those who have lived here for over 5 years. Make welfare a safety net for the needy, not a bed for the lazy.
6 Our Way Of Life
• Our traditional values have been undermined. Children are taught to be ashamed of our past. Multiculturalism has split our society. Political correctness is stifling free speech.
• The law of the land must be single and apply to us all. We oppose any other system of law.
• End the ban on smoking in allocated rooms in public houses, clubs and hotels.
• Hold County wide referenda on the hunting ban.
UKIP is a patriotic party that believes in putting Britain first. To shore up the collapsing Euro the EU is now seeking to pull away the props of our national economy – control of taxation and spending. Only UKIP will give the power to the British people to regain self-government.